Friday, November 7, 2014

Cheating Low Calorie CauliFried Rice

I love food!

The problem with that being, of course, that in recent years it has been sticking around a little too long. I'm starting to wear my pasta, if you know what I mean.

Husband and I have been on a diet for a few months now and we're starting to show progress, but I look at delicious recipes online and have a hard time staying true. Or rather, I have a hard time continuing to cook diet food. So many times I cook something low calorie and think "this is a bit flavorless, a little butter oughta fix it right up!"

Incidentally, whoever said "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" has never tried French food, hahaha. They love their butter.

Anyway, I've been reading about this trend using cauliflower rice and decided to try it. I figured a good way to mask that cauliflower flavor for my husband would be to douse it in soy sauce, ginger, and garlic.

It really looks convincing though, I gotta say!



(And yes, I used a filter because my phone takes awful photos, and my super nice camera is acting up this week...)


Ingredients I used:

20 oz Cauliflower, lightly steamed (not too mushy, it still needs to hold its shape)
2/3 cup Frozen Peas and Carrots
3 Eggs
10 oz Chicken Breast, sliced (or tofu would be superb too, would have done that had husband not been an involved party)

Soy sauce, ground pepper, minced garlic, and minced ginger to taste.


I was good this time and used an olive oil spray to coat my pan lightly. I cooked my chicken first and while that was browning I riced my cauliflower. I have no experience in this at all, but I just dumped the cauliflower in my blender for a few seconds until it had a "ricey" texture.


(Terrible photo number two, sorry! I also have black counter tops, which didn't cheer up this already sad photo any, ha!)


Then I scrambled my eggs and dumped in the caulirice and veggies. Stirred it around a bit, flavored to taste and called it good. Tada!


I'm no gourmet chef, so this wouldn't win any prizes. But it was pretty good and husband even enjoyed it! The nice thing is you can add whatever you like to it, and the whole process only took about 30 minutes. I bet you can come up with something a bit more complex than mine, I just wanted to share the idea.

How many calories, you ask? I counted it to be 1,010 for the whole pan (it'll vary depending on your seasonings, oils, and meats, of course) which made it barely over 500 for half of the pan. Husband and I each got half of the pan and neither of us finished it, it was a lot of food!

What kind of ingredients do you like in fried rice?





No comments:

Post a Comment