Monday, January 5, 2015

The Christmas Craziness

Oh good grief, Christmas is insane! I am almost glad it's over now. Almost because I will miss the free days and visiting loved ones, but I'm glad to be back in my pjs and able to sleep in my own bed.

I think we went around and saw everyone we're related to except for my older sister and my husband's mother (oh, but don't worry! We're going there in the near future).

Sorry it's been so long since I've written! I was in three Christmas concerts, voluteered for a fundraiser, made a ton of dog sweaters for an event, competed in a baking contest, made cookbooks for my sisters, had 3 out of town Christmases and hosted two different sets of relatives here. Phew! Luckily my house stayed pretty clean, so a few swiffers to pick up the extra dogs lying around my house and some cleaned bathroom counters and mirrors were all that was needed.

I don't know about you ladies out there, but my husband is not a very talented wrapper or cook, which means all of that was left to me. I admire you women who have children and have to wrap tons of small presents. The only kids I have to wrap for are the triplets (my husband and his two brothers) and I mostly just stuff all their gifts in one box so it's easy to wrap!

I have this problem though. You see, my mother-in-law is a super perfect wrapper. Her other sons just dump their presents off at her house to wrap. I save her the trouble and wrap our own, but I have to do a very good job because they will be scrutinized. I think I did pretty well this year, despite this really terrible photo.



As a gift this year my dad bought me this kiln from a public surplus auction. I'm super excited! I need to get my garage rewired (that, or unplug my dryer, it's a 220 volt) and get the kiln serviced. Then I'm going to crank that baby into action! Finally a use for my ceramics degree...



For my sisters this year I got together with my Grandmothers and collected the family recipes we grew up with and love. I spent hours reading recipes my Great-Grandmothers had hand written, and typed them up with little stories and anecdotes that my Grandmothers added in. I ran out of time and couldn't type everything they sent me. It ended up being 108 pages total. I put it in some nice 3-ring binders so we can add more in the future. I really hope my sisters like them.

I also found this hysterical item with a bad translation on it. Husband and I laughed until we cried. So naturally I bought it for my friend that owns the barn. I think it's a piggy bank? Minus the piggy.


Oh! Husband ordered a new printer/scanner for us! Our current scanner is broken (printer too, for that matter) and so soon I'll be able to scan in some comics! We plan to use our current printer for target practice when the new one comes in, this one is awful.

How about you? What did you get for Christmas? Do you have trouble trying to maintain appearances around Christmas for your family or in-laws?

No comments:

Post a Comment